Vegetables, yarn, and yarns: all of my passions all in one place.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mushrooms: It's What's for Dinner

If there's one food I'm happy I discovered before I'm snuffed out of this world, it's portabella mushrooms. They are just so light and low-cal and, in a word, delicious, especially when you are willing to take the extra time to make the perfect marinade.

I like my marinades sweet and fruity, just like I like my wines come to think of it. This one's easy, it just requires an extra 15 minutes for prep and a grill. Did I mention we have a grill?

For those out there who don't know this, I will impart this wisdom upon you now: Don't grill in your kitchen. Even if you totally have this tiny grill and you have a window open for ventilation and really, it's just harmless. Not that I would know from first-hand experience--because I'm so not that much of a moron--but if you attempt to grill indoors, it will get smoky fast and you'll thank your lucky stars that your smoke detector is a piece of junk and your neighbors didn't assume your apartment was on fire and call the fire department. Just saying.

Where was I? Ah yes, marinating mushroom caps. My marinade is simple and goes a little something like this:

(for up to four mushroom caps)
1/4 c olive oil
1/8 c vinegar
1 T lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced
between 1/2 c and 1 c fruit juice (I prefer those with a strawberry component for this one)


Mix all of these in a small bowl (Mine's not small. I got a little carried away.)

Marinated Portabella Mushroom Caps
(serves 3 or 4)

3 or 4 big portabella Mushroom Caps
a bowl of my sweet n fruity marinade
6 to 8 sprigs of rosemary (opt)
salt and pepper

1. On a large plate, preferably one with a rim,  place the caps gills up. Fill each cap with the marinade, allowing some spillage. Make sure the spillage ends up underneath each cap, so it gets some fruity love on both sides (take that how you will). Salt and pepper each and place two sprigs of rosemary (if you have them) on top of each one.



2. For 15 minutes, go do something else. I'll bet your toilet needs cleaned or you have one last measly chapter in that book you are reading. Perhaps you know how to knit. Knitting will really make the time go by.

3. Fire up the grill on med. heat. Lift each cap, allowing most of the marinade to spill back onto the plate, and place them on the grill gill side up. Cook for 3-5 minutes. Flip. Cook another 3-5 minutes. Turn off the grill.


These mushrooms pair really well with kale in any form, raw or cooked, and also go well with a bit of whole wheat spaghetti.



They also make quite a tasty burger. Your choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment