Vegetables, yarn, and yarns: all of my passions all in one place.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Write. Submit. Wait.

I'm trying to get the submission train rolling on the writing career front. I've submitted one of the novel stories/chapters to One Story (if you are going to aim, aim high). I plan on submitting to Glimmer Train in July/August, whenever their standard submission month is in the summer. I also took a peek at Midwestern Gothic, because it seemed perfect for my writing style. Alas, they are only open to photo submissons at the moment. On the plus side, I take a lot of pictures, and nothing feels so satisfying when waiting for potential writing submission rejection as having a photo accepted by a lit mag one day after submission. It's called Michigan Grassland. I took it in 2006 in my parent's backyard. My three year old son makes an appearance in mismatched outerwear.

Does that make me a published author yet?



As for actual writing, I have not made much substantial progress. Still no story ideas to be had. I do have two entries in my faux leather post-MFA journal, a fairly terrible poem and a definition I found amusing from the Webster's New College Dictionary. The defintion will inspire a less terrible poem in the near future, if all goes well.

In the meantime, I have heard back from an agent whom I sent a query and first chapter of the novel. I was beyond thrilled with the e-mail requesting the rest of the manuscript, which I did yesterday. I know that getting the whole manuscript read does not equate to a book-deal or even an agent, but still, this being the first agent I queried, I take it for a good sign. Now, the waiting. I'm not sure if Tom Petty is right. I'm pretty sure the waiting is not the hardest part of this particular scenario (try writing/revising a novel and see what I mean), but then again, it sure isn't easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment