Vegetables, yarn, and yarns: all of my passions all in one place.

Friday, August 3, 2012

Goodbye, Ruby Tuesday. (And Hello.)

As a veggie, I have a hard time coming up with restaurant food options. American restaurant fare is just not kind to the non-meat-eaters. However, there is one American-style cuisine restaurant where I always have something to eat: Ruby Tuesday.

Ruby Tuesday has a giant salad bar and with that salad bar, you can order something called zucchini cake minis. These slider-like sandwiches contain shredded zucchini, along with numerous other veggies. Then they are topped with a tomato and lettuce. These things are magical and when paired with the giant salad bar, sheer genius.

Of course, ideally, eating out is not a daily or even weekly occurrence, so when the zukes started coming in at the garden, I decided to find a recipe for zucchini burgers I could make at home.



Zucchini Cakes

The recipe for these babies isn't my invention, so I won't include it here. Instead, I'll give credit where it's due. Instead, here's the run-down of this particular experiment.



Such a meal would be incomplete without some tasty baked french fries.


We paired the cakes with a slice of cheese, tomato, and a whole wheat bun. They came out a bit less solid than expected, turning out less burgerlike and more falling-apart, but the taste was worth any amount of mush consistency. These cakes had a complex, tangy flavor brought on by the spices and condiments that went into the "batter".


Eating your vegetables never tasted so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment