Vegetables, yarn, and yarns: all of my passions all in one place.

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Veggie Fajita: home version

Remember those veggie fajitas I enjoyed at the little Mexican place on Van Aken? Well, much like my eggplant fritter sandwich a la Italian place on Chagrin, I have managed to successfully recreate those fajitas at home for much much cheaper.

My little boy is a quarter Mexican and he's got this thing now where he is willing to try anything as long as it's Mexican. So I've intelligently named this recipe:


Mexican Stir Fry

What you need:
1 mid-sized zucchini, sliced
1 vine-ripened tomato, diced
1/2 med-sized green bell pepper, sliced and quartered
1/2 large red bell pepper, sliced and quartered
8 oz. sliced mushrooms  (white button or baby bella)
oil for frying (about 1 T or a good coat of spray)
half a packet of fajita seasoning
1 cup of brown rice
tomato sauce (sadly, I used taco sauce)
1 c. shredded mexican style cheese (in lieu of this: just go with cheddar)
Optional: Fajita-style tortillas and refried beans

1.Cook rice. I used a rice cooker.

2. In a large skillet preheated and oiled, toss in the mushrooms, peppers, zucchini, and fajita seasoning in and cook on high heat until veggies are tender and mushrooms are carmelized.

3. Transfer skillet contents into a bowl. Transfer rice to skillet and add tomato sauce until rice is sufficiently coated to your liking. Cook at med-heat until rice is hot. Add cheese and stir.

4. Assemble veggies into fajita tortillas with light coat of refried beans or by itself on plate. Plate rice on the side or mix with stir fry.


It was surprisingly delicious, despite being a complete experiment. Next time, I would use something other than taco sauce though.

No comments:

Post a Comment