Vegetables, yarn, and yarns: all of my passions all in one place.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Molasses Pumpkin Muffins, vegan and glutenless

I discovered a lost recipe this week. I was in poetry class on tuesday, and one of my classmates referenced molasses syrup in her workshop poem. This, of course, led to  a discussion on molasses. How it's great but not eaten alone straight from the bottle. Then it occurred to me: I have a molasses recipe I never blogged.

Picture this: the saturday meeting of my internship class last semester. My prof suggested we make a buffet of it. Each of us could bring a dish to pass. In the class with me was a chick named Megan. She's actually the first person I ever met in my grad program, and we carpooled to Youngstown every week my first semester in Cleveland. Megan can't have gluten and I had an open sack of millet flour just sitting in my freezer, waiting to get used up. So I told Megan I'd make something even she could eat.



Vegan Gluten-free Molasses Pumpkin Muffins
(adjusted from food.com)

1 1/2 c. oat flour (grind gluten-free oats in a blender)
1/2 c. millet four
1/2 c. molasses
1 T baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 t cinnamon
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t clove
1 15 oz. can solid pack pumpkin
1/2 c water
1/2 c raisins

1. Heat oven to 375. Mix flours, powder, soda, salt, cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg in large bowl. Add pumpkin, water, molasses, and raisins. Stir until just mixed.

2. Spoon batter into sprayed muffin tin, filling 3/4 full.

3. Bake 25-30 minutes. When the muffin tops bounce back when you press them lightly with your finger, you know they're done. Stand 5 minutes before removing muffins from the tin.

I added a bit of orange frosting to the tops to give it a little extra sweetness.



Not only is this a tasty treat, its a tasty treat that anyone in the room can enjoy. Now that I think of it, there are some vegans in my poetry class this semester. Perhaps I should make them some muffins...

No comments:

Post a Comment