Vegetables, yarn, and yarns: all of my passions all in one place.

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Lasagna Rollups Veggie-Sausage Style

While in Trader Joes, I searched and searched for seitan. I've never had it better, and considering that Vietnamese cooking uses this wheat protein frequently, I figured Vietnamese month was a good excuse to try it out. Unfortunately, the trader was fresh out. But they did have a sale on ground vegetarian sausage.

I used half of this delightful invention making an egg, sausage, and cheese pita. The stuff is quite tasty, however, at first, using it was a little off-putting. It looks so much like ground meat. Really, it was obvious that it wasn't meat, but still...

But that still left the other half. The package suggested to try it in lasagna and I thought, good idea. I turned to one of my favorite Rachel Ray knock-offs, my take on her lasagna rollups, lasagna without that pesky layering.



Sausage Lasagna Rollups
--adjusted from Rachel Ray--

8 lasagna noodles (whole wheat preferred)
1 box frozen spinach, thawed
3 T Parmesan Cheese
1 c cottage cheese
1/2 tube gimme lean ground sausage
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
spaghetti sauce
shredded mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)

1. Cook noodles according to package. While it cooks, cook the sausage in a skillet 5 minutes per side and crumble.

2. In a med bowl, combine spinach, cottage cheese, parmesan, sausage crumbles, nutmeg, salt, and pepper. Mix well.

3. Spread mixture on cooked noodles one at a time. Roll the noodles up with filling and sit them, sides touching in a baking pan. Cover tops in sauce and top with moz. cheese.  Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment