Vegetables, yarn, and yarns: all of my passions all in one place.

Monday, April 11, 2011

A Vegetarian Knitaganza

In addition to experimenting in my kitchen, eating, and writing (not to mention reading, I also knit. I'm in a bit of a knitting craze actually. No matter what I'm doing, I would rather be knitting. It's an addiction to metal sticks and a ball of string.

Usually, what happens to be in my knitting bag has no relation to this blog, a blog of food. However, in my lasted project, my love of vegetables has combined with my love of turning fiber into fabric. I am making my nephew, for his second birthday, a basket of plush knit amigurumi vegetables, compliments of the patterns in the first section of Amigurumi Knits by Hansi Singh.



There is a tomato, an eggplant, a carrot, a cucumber, a peapod, even garlic. So far, I've finished the eggplant, tomato, and carrot. To go with it, I have an adorable T-shirt (size 3T) that I found on clearance at Target. The shirt features a cartoon broccoli floret and the words "Trust me. I'm delicious."

My main motivation for this: my one-year-old nephew's joy in life is food. His second joy is to play with pots and pans. When he turns two, I figure what's better than stuffed vegetables to put in his pots and his mouth. Yarn is baby friendly.



My secondary motivation for this: I want one kid in my family who appreciates a good vegetable, even if I have to brainwash him with clearanced fashion and stuffed animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment