Vegetables, yarn, and yarns: all of my passions all in one place.

Monday, October 17, 2011

Twinkle, Twinkle

I've given myself a deadline on this new sweater I've been knitting. I want to wear it on Thanksgiving.

Don't let the picture fool you. I'm a lot further along on it than that. In 12 rows, I'll be binding off the back and starting on the front cast ons.

This is my second cabled sweater but the first one I've done with traveling cables. I love the look. Every few rows I have to stop and stare in amazement at how a few twists here and there, a knit a purl purl, can become something so startling. And the yarn? Part recycled polyester.

I can save the plant and knit all at the same time.

I have a nice cue by now of knitting pics to share, but I can't show off Christmas presents beforehand. What if the recipient should see? I do have the first blanket I've ever made. It's also designed by me, so I'm rather in love with it. I finished it well in advance of a cousin's baby shower, and now that she's got it, I can show it off.


It's done mostly in seed star stitch with a trim of seed and moss stitch. I did it about 30 in. square, a nice swaddling blanket size, in a cheery robin's egg blue, equally enjoyable for a boy or girl, though the baby in question has been confirmed male in-utero. I'm calling it "Twinkle," the blanket, not the fetus.

No comments:

Post a Comment