Vegetables, yarn, and yarns: all of my passions all in one place.

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Veggie Prep

It's that time again, ladies and gents. Memorial weekend is upon us. It's time to dig in the dirt. Of course, I'm getting married in an entirely different state this summer, so I don't have as much time to invest into a garden as I might like. Fortunately for me, I have this amazing friend named Carla, who just so happened to move into a house a few roads down. In her backyard, we will be gardening together.

Tonight was breaking ground night. I brought over my eight year old and the gardening tools I got for Christmas from my mom. She brought all the neighborhood children and a very giving neighbor with the equipment and know-how. The garden in question was, until a few hours ago, a pair of overrun flower beds. Carla, myself, and ten of the neighborhood children attacked the weeds with relish. It was something to see, all those kids excited to get in the dirt and do a bit of hard labor. We talked about the soil, bulbs, the benefits of spiders, and the hindrance of grubs. A good time was had by all, and at the end of it all, we had a prepped garden. Now all we need is the plants.

I'm thinking tomatoes, eggplant, kale, zucchini, cucumber, lettuce, all the usual suspects. Carla has her eye on collard greens, watermelon, strawberries, and corn. I like the community of it, how our little garden managed to bring people together. Another summer of vegetables is on the way, and I for one am looking forward to them and the time I'll get to spend with Ms. Carla and her daughter, who celebrates a birthday this week. (Happy Birthday, M!)

No comments:

Post a Comment