Vegetables, yarn, and yarns: all of my passions all in one place.

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Yarn Clearance!

Jo-Ann's is moving locations. What that means: store-wide yarn clearance. Not that I need any yarn. I have an overabundance, though much of it is also clearanced, mostly acrylic, from my days of grad student poverty (they seem so long ago already). This clearance, I was a bit more picky. I was out for wool (or wool blends).

My first want: some good sock yarn. I have yet to knit a pair of socks and I really want to try my hand at it. I stumbled upon this variegated skein of sock ease:


Also, these pretty skeins of sensations, two of a pinky variegated bamboo and ewe and two of a blue/green variegated wool and nylon blend:


Finally, my son picked out a collection of brightly colored chunky wool blend skeins for a scarf he's been wanting. It took a lot of coaxing, but I finally talked him out of the variegated acrylic yarn whose colorway was aptly entitled "circus."


I already got some cotton on clearance from Herrschners, whose catalogues began showing up in my mailbox a few months ago.



As for works in progress, the veil is almost complete. I love the look of it, but I'm losing my patience with how much attention it requires. I pay attention to five words in a conversation and soon enough, I'm frogging back a row from some simple error at the beginning. If I'm lucky, I notice the error before I finish the row.

I started in on the scarf tonight, because I needed a mindless knit to counteract the weeks of veil knitting. I'm using a broken rib and so far, it's looking good. The gage is 9 stitches to an inch, so it moves a lot faster than the sport weight I've been working with this week.


Chunky weight yarn is a thing of magic.

No comments:

Post a Comment